Our October newsletter is now available to download!
Our September newsletter is now available to download!
Reminder: tonight’s Richard Blanco event will be held at the Winthrop Performing Arts Center. Tickets are required and can be picked up at the library before close at 6pm.
Here’s a neat link from NPR: What The College Kids Are Reading
Our July newsletter is now available to download!
Lots and lots of new books, picture books, films, graphic novels, and more at the library this month! Check the lists on the New Items page of our website and put your name on reserve.
In an attempt to maximize the number of days open to the public and hopefully better meet the needs of our users The Bailey Library Trustees have adopted the following hours of operation, which will go into effect July 6th:
Our June newsletter is now available to download!
The Winthrop Public Library was originally opened on July 8, 1889 and contained 1,322 volumes. The original library construction was funded through a combination of private fundraising and a Town grant, and the original building location was referred to as “Packard Block” in early Town reports.
On December 2, 1916 the library moved, and in a dedication ceremony that featured the president of Colby College, and Dennis’ Orchestra, Charles Bailey donated the beautiful rock faced and chiseled granite structure designed by prominent Maine architect John Calvin Stevens that we see on Bowdoin Street today. After moving to Bowdoin Street, the library became the Charles M. Bailey Public Library.
Nearly 100 years later we cut the ribbon to the newly renovated library, designed by local architect Phil Locashio, and funded through a combination of private fundraising and a Town loan.
Join us tomorrow morning at 9:30am as we cut the ribbon and open for regular library business!
Summer Reading at Bailey Library!
It’s never too early to start thinking about Summer Reading.
Our Summer Reading page is now live at: baileylibrary.org/summerreading